Members of the Mont Vernon Democrats Committee, effective March 11, 2012 for a two year term, include:
- Chair: Paul Liscord
- Co-Chair: Peter Braen
- Secretary: Lorri Hayes
- Treasurer: Mary Jean MacGillivary
- Rep @ Large: Alyson Miller
The Officers of the Mont Vernon Dems can be contacted via the reply link.
By-Laws of the Mont Vernon Democrats
SECTION 1 NAME
The name of this organization shall be the Mont Vernon Democrats.
SECTION 2 PURPOSE
Its purpose shall be to promote the ideals and principles of the Democratic Party in the State of New Hampshire and the United States.
SECTION 3 FUNCTIONS
- To administer the affairs of the Democratic Party within Mont Vernon.
- To exercise leadership within Mont Vernon and cooperate with the local, regional, state, and national committees in the support of Democratic candidates for office.
- To provide rules and regulations as may be required for the functioning of the Mont Vernon Democrats.
- To expand and strengthen the Democratic Party by maintaining open and public proceedings.
- Through the town Chair to fill any vacancies in nominations for State Representative and State Convention Delegate as provided by RSA 655:37. In the case of a multi-town legislative district, the Chairs of any respective towns/cities shall work with the Mont Vernon Chair to fill vacancies.
- To appoint inspectors of election as provided by RSA 658:2.
- In conjunction with the New Hampshire Democratic Party to maintain and update an accurate master voter list with names, addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, and party affiliations of all voters registered in the town.
- To encourage undeclared voters to participate in the Mont Vernon Democrats activities.
SECTION 4 MEMBERSHIP
Membership of the Mont Vernon Democrats shall consist of all registered Democrats in Mont Vernon.
SECTION 5 OFFICERS/EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
- The members of the executive committee shall consist of the Chair, Vice-Chair, Secretary, Treasurer, Member At- Large. The Chair, Secretary, and Member At-Large are elected in the odd year and the Vice-Chair and Treasurer shall be elected in the even year. The election shall take place between January 15 and April 1.. The length of the term is two years.
- It shall be the duty of the Executive Committee to advise the Chair on matters of policy, to assist in planning the affairs of the Mont Vernon Democrats as well as the following:
- The activities of the Executive Committee as reflected in its minutes shall be reported to the Mont Vernon Democrats at the quarterly meetings of the entire membership.
- No expenditures, including those in excess of available funds, shall be contracted unless authorized by the Executive Committee. Any political campaign contributions shall be granted by a majority vote of the Executive Committee.
- Vacancies among the officers shall be filled by a majority vote of the members of the present at a meeting advertised at least 30-days.
SECTION 6 DUTIES OF THE OFFICERS
- CHAIR. It shall be the duty of the Chair to call meetings of the Mont Vernon Democrats and the Executive Committee and preside over those meetings; to vote in the case of a tie; to supervise the ongoing operations of the Mont Vernon Democrats; to supervise all officers in the exercise of their respective duties; to be responsible for the maintenance of records that will reflect the ongoing operations of the Mont Vernon Democrats and to ensure that such records are passed on to the appropriate elected successors to coordinate workers during local, state or national elections; and to ensure that any reports required by State or Federal Law receive full compliance. Sign checks The Chair shall assist in securing and encouraging nominees for State Senate, Hillsborough County Commissioner, Sheriff, Hillsborough County Attorney and the other offices. The Chair shall fill the ballot in accordance with RSA 655:37, and may appoint any committee or individual to assist in meeting these responsibilities.
- VICE-CHAIR. It shall be the duty of the Vice-Chair to perform the duties of the Chair when absence; and to perform such duties as may be delegated by the Chair. The Vice-Chair shall be responsible for overseeing any committee efforts to recruit candidates for State Representative and the Democratic State Convention.
- SECRETARY. It shall be the duty of the secretary to maintain accurate minutes of the meetings of the Mont Vernon Democrats and Executive Committee; to post notice of meetings; to keep such other records as may be required; and to act in the absence of the Chair and Vice-Chair.
- TREASURER. It shall be the duty of the Treasurer to be responsible for the custody of all funds of the Mont Vernon Democrats; to keep a full and accurate record of all receipts and disbursements; to deposit all moneys in the name of the Mont Vernon Democrats in a recognized bank; to disburse said funds as may be ordered by the Executive Committee; to give a full financial report to the Chair, the Mont Vernon Democrats, the Executive Committee, or the Finance Committee upon request; to sign all checks, drafts and orders for payment of money; and to act in the absence of the Chair, Vice-Chair and Secretary.
E. At-Large Member. It shall be the duty of the at-large member to represent Mont Vernon Democrats as voting member at the New Hampshire Democratic Party State convention and to attend meetings of the Mont Vernon Democrats, and other duties as assigned by the Chair.
SECTION 7 Responsibilities
The committee shall:
- Elect committee officers (Chair, Vice-Chair, Secretary, Treasurer, and any other officers deemed necessary) at least once every two years as per Article 5a. The County Committee shall provide certification for all town and city chairs, and when necessary, other officers of the committees. Each committee shall meet as often as they determine necessary, but at least semi annually.
- Elect at-large delegates to the State Convention, as necessary.
- Adopt bylaws that include provisions required by the County Bylaws and State Party Constitution Chapter 7. They shall also include their own procedures for election and removal of officers and proper notification thereof. In the absence of local bylaws or in a case where bylaw provisions for local elections and vacancies have not been followed, the County Chair may call for an election and appoint any officer for the interim.
- Complete a town and city profile provided by the County Committee with pertinent information on the town or city organization, elections, and list of active Democrats.
- Provide a copy of the MV Democratic Committee Town bylaws to the County Executive Committee for review of compliance with the NHDP Constitution and County Bylaws.
- Through the Chair, fill any vacancies in nominations for State Representative as provided by RSA 655:37. In the case of a multi-town legislative district, the Chairs of any respective towns/cities shall work with the County Chair in filling vacancies.
- Appoint inspectors of election as provided by RSA 658:2.
- Maintain and update an accurate master voter list with names, addresses, phone numbers, and party affiliations of all voters registered in the town. A copy of this list shall be made available to the County Executive Committee upon request.
The County Committee shall provide the following materials to the Chair of each local Committee:
- Chair’s manual
- New Hampshire State Democratic Constitution
- Hillsborough County Democratic Committee Bylaws
- An outgoing Chair shall be responsible for turning over these materials to the incoming Chair.
SECTION 8 STANDING COMMITTEES
The Chair shall appoint at least two members, with one serving as Chair, and as many other members as deemed necessary to the Fundraising, Outreach, Communication (website coordinator), and Candidate Recruitment committees, and other committees which the Chair deems necessary. The committees shall make reports through their Chairs at the monthly Executive Committee meetings.
SECTION 9 MEETINGS
- Meetings of the entire Mont Vernon Democratic Committee membership shall take place at least twice a year. Proper notification shall be made at least seven calendar days prior to the meeting with specific notice to all members, At least 5 members, including at least one Executive Committee officer, shall constitute a quorum.
- Executive Committee meetings shall take place bi-monthly. A simple majority of Executive Committee members shall constitute a quorum.
- Additional Committee and Executive Committee meetings may be called by the Chair or by a vote at any meeting. All meetings shall be open to any member of the Democratic Party.
- If an issue arises that requires resolution before the next scheduled Executive Committee meeting, the Chair may conduct a telephone or email poll to determine what action to take. Responses from a simple majority of Executive Committee members shall constitute a quorum.
SECTION 10 ORDER OF BUSINESS
- The order of business at general meetings shall be: adoption of the minutes, adoption of the Treasurer’s report, adoption of the standing committee reports, adoption of the Executive Committee report, old business, new business, announcements and adjournment, any exception to be posted 15 days prior to the meeting.
- The order of business at Executive Committee meetings shall be: roll call, adoption of the minutes, adoption of the Treasurer’s report, reports from individual members, old business, new business, announcements and adjournment, any exception to be posted 7 days prior to the meeting.
SECTION 11 AMENDMENT OF THE BY-LAWS
- The By-Laws may be amended by presenting the proposed amendment(s) at a regularly called meeting of the Mont Vernon Democratic Committee with action to be taken on the proposed amendment(s) at the next regularly called meeting. The proposed amendment(s) shall be presented in writing to the members of the Mont Vernon Democratic Committee.
- A 2/3 vote of those eligible to vote and attending is required for adoption of the amendment(s).
- Every two years the Chair shall appoint a committee to review the By-Laws and recommend amendment(s) if necessary.
SECTION 12 OTHER PROVISIONS
- Robert’s Rules of Parliamentary Procedures shall cover any provisions not covered in the By-Laws.
- A copy of these By-Laws shall be available to all members of the Mont Vernon Democratic Committee or published on our website when established.